Monday, November 15, 2004

Shambu News 11-15-04

The Dissertation
the official newsletter of Shambu

So many gigs! The Shambu lads are busier in November than those crafty Girl Scouts that are everywhere. Says Pete: “I once had this dream that the Girl Scouts made a giant Thin Mint, just for me, called the Sloppy Fat Mint. Then I ate it. Best dream ever.” Right. Anyhow, this edition of the Dissertation is packed with upcoming shows, including one that the band is billing as their BIGGEST SHOW EVER, which involves television and the triumphant one-show-only-this-semester return of Mikey D, so check it out! We are also honored to feature the totally tubular contributions of Mike Slagor (“The Red States vs. The Blue States”) and Melissa Marsherall (“Holiday Cheer Through Music”), so be sure to scroll all the way down!

SHAMBU TECH UPDATE:

From now on, you can also view all the freshest Dissertation content, as well as back issues, at the following website: http://thedissertation.blogspot.com .

UPCOMING SHOWS:

PETE BURAKOWSKI (Solo), with guests Mike Masucci and Chris Kalfas
THIS WEDNESDAY, November 17
SPoT Coffee
Elmwood Ave., Buffalo (the smaller of the two locations, connected with New World Record)
9:00-11:00 p.m.
All Ages!
Free!
This is the first in a series of songwriter showcases that Pete will be presenting at the Elmwood SPoT on a monthly basis.

PETE BURAKOWSKI (Solo)
Friday, November 19
Exquisite Taste
4109 N. Buffalo Rd., Orchard Park
7:30-11:00 p.m.
All Ages!
Free!

SHAMBU
Saturday, November 20
SPoT Coffee
227 Delaware Ave., Buffalo (Downtown, on the corner of Chippewa)
8:00-10:30 p.m.
All Ages!
Free!

And…

THE BIGGEST SHOW EVER!!!
SHAMBU (with the return of Mikey D!)
A taping of the late-night television show Offbeat Cinema!
Wednesday, November 24 (The day before Thanksgiving)
SPoT Coffee
227 Delaware Ave., Buffalo (Downtown, on the corner of Chippewa)
11:00 p.m.-1:00 a.m.
All Ages!
Free!
The Down-Low: SPoT is teaming up with Offbeat Cinema (www.offbeatcinema.com) to be its official coffee. To kick off this promotion, the cast of the show will be filming an episode in SPoT on November 24, and Shambu has been selected to be the house band! So, come on down on one of the biggest party nights of the year and support the boys, as they welcome Mikey D back into the lineup for his only show this semester! We think that many of our loyal Shambu listeners will also get a kick out of the Offbeat folks, who present classic household films on their show, such as “The Manster”- a movie about a man that is half-man, half-monster, “Santa Claus Conquers the Martians” (self-explanitory), and “Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster”. It’s going to be an awesome time!

AND NOW FOR THE GOOD STUFF:

“The Red States vs. The Blue States”
by Mike Slagor

Lately, when driving in my car, I've been working on harmony with some rock tunes. The albums that have not left my car for a while have been The Shins "Chutes Too Narrow," Coldplay "Parachutes," and Weezer's "Weezer [Blue Album]." I don't know what it is, but I'm obsessed with harmony for pop or rock tunes. Even if the songs don't have harmony per se, I'll try to sing it anyways. And if I screw up with a phrase, then I keep on singing it over and over until I get it, even while the song is continuing without me.I mostly appreciate Weezer's harmony, especially on their up-tempo, hard rockin' guitar songs. There's just something about Weezer's Blue Album I was addicted to when I had it in 6th grade. Every song was a gem. I recently figured out what it was that I loved so much about it. It was the fact that the first track, "My Name is Jonas," had the likes of distorted guitars and fingerpicking acoustics simultaneously--not to mention beautiful vocal melodies. In addition, fast forwarding a few years, these are the same things I like about Coldplay's albums--a synthesis of hard, soft, sexy vocals. And by sexy I mean tamed. Then, at the end of "Undone (Sweater Song)," the harsh tones of cymbals and what appeared to be random keys being hit on the piano. But, these last few seconds of the tune sound exactly like a song from The Bad Plus.
What's my point? I'm not sure. Is it because music is cyclical? Because The Shins do have a great Beach Boys sound sometimes. Also, there are probably dozens of bands that had Weezer's sound that I don't know about. I'm just waiting for somebody to tell me who those bands are.
Or is it that I'm simply a sap for some good pop/rock music, and I've rediscovered some artists that I will never stop listening to? I think what it boils down to is that I'm pissed off at people in my generation. I have so many friends who focus on the tunes that the radio plays, in order to stay "up to date" with what current, popular artists are putting out, even though most of it is shit. Why would someone want to bravely await Eminem's new album, or Britney's new Greatest Hits album? (Seriously, giving her a greatest hits title after five years of music is threatening to my sanity) Do people buy these albums because they are "new?" What about the hundreds of years of music that people my age have never been exposed to? People my age should take a look back instead of a look forward. But, it is important to remember that this "look forward" that I frown upon does
not pertain to Shambu.


“Holiday Cheer Through Music”
by Melissa Marsherall

With the holidays rapidly approaching, it is time to begin the laborious task of, you guessed it, channel surfing for radio stations that aren't playing 24 hour Christmas tunes starting on November 20th. This task is becoming increasingly difficult as rival radio stations race to become the first to offer non-stop holiday cheer.

Don't get me wrong. I love holiday music just as much as the next guy. But there comes a time in every day when "All I want for Christmas" and "Santa Baby" make you want to do more than just hang ornaments on the tree and settle in for a cozy night by the fire.

Let's face it. The holiday season can be a very stressful, depressing time for a lot of individuals who spend the rest of the year pointedly avoiding their "family" and "friends." There is a reason that American families do not live in units designed to house multiple generations of family under one roof, and it's that multiple generations and/or combinations of family just do not get along, especially when there's eggnog involved.

So this year I have devised a way of dealing with those uncomfortable family situations that drive you to drink heavily, and it's so subtle that you'll leave people thinking that you're really being "holiday-ish" and not mocking: incorporate Christmas lyrics into your conversation. Here are just a few examples of when this would be appropriate....

Example #1: You are at relative's house for one of the many family gatherings that occur between Thanksgiving and Christmas that do not actually involve Thanksgiving OR Christmas. You have put in your requisite appearance, and now you're just getting antsy to go because, let's face it, refolding all of your underwear sounds more appealing than listening to another story about how successful your cousin's boyfriend is. As you're putting your coat on, one family member is insisting that you stay, after all, what else do you have to do? Before anyone else can get in another word, quickly break out into, "There's no place like home for the holidays" and add at the end "Yes, there's no place like home. MY home." Break into laughter so everyone thinks you're only joking. Continue to chuckle as you get into your car and drive to the nearest bar, where you're meeting all of your friends from high school.

Example #2: You are at another such gathering and everyone is asking you why you're not dating anyone. For this occasion, it would be terribly appropriate to program your cell phone to the tune "Do you hear what I hear?" so that you can strategically signal your siblings to call your phone at the requisite time. As your phone is singing away, politely excuse yourself from the conversation, saying "Do you hear what I hear? That's my booty call. If you'll excuse me for a moment, I need to take this call so I know where the gang bang is tonight." Again, breaking into laughter and patting people on the back as you exit the room will enhance the jovial atmosphere.

I am confident that by subtly working Christmas lyrics into conversations with your family this holiday season, you can find a non-combative way to deal with a great majority of the stress that family and friends can bring. Let me know how it works out for you.








hit counters
Farberware